Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cleaning Out the Fridge

So on this Saturday, when I'm having my cooking therapy, I decided to clean out the fridge.  Things have a way of hiding in there.  I've gotten a lot better at food management.  I wish I'd had these skills when my kids were little.  But I guess I'm a slow learner.  Anyway, I've very careful about making sure I use up everything and have very little wastage these days.  Although I did find a couple things hiding today that just couldn't be salvaged!

And have you noticed that veggies don't keep like they used to?  My celery never makes it past a week--two at the most.  Carrots, either organic or not, just can't stay in the veg drawer very long.  I had fruits and vegetables that were still good--but if I waited another week, or even a few more days, they'd be history.

Though I didn't get pictures of all the goodies, I was quite productive.  I made:

  • Guacamole
  • Orange Zinger
  • Carrot Juice
  • And juiced some lemons and limes
But the crowning project of the day was a carrot cake.  When I told Mike I was making carrot cake he didn't seem too thrilled.  But when he tasted it, I got the "smile of approval."  Suffice it to say, I'll make it again.  Very uncomplicated and VERY good.

Here's the recipe:

Carrot Cake

The original recipe is from a GE Juice Extractor manual.  I changed it up a bit and added a dollop of whipped cream (real cream, mind you).

Carrot Cake with whipped cream.
Since I made carrot juice with my juice extractor, I already had the juice and pulp required for this cake. If you don't have an extractor, you could use milk for the liquid and just finely grate or chop carrots to equal amounts below.

  • 1 1/2 cups carrot pulp
  • 1/2 cup carrot juice
  • 1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (I used turbino)
  • 3/4 vegetable oil (I used applesauce)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
  • Confectioners sugar to sprinkle on later (I made whipped cream)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Process carrots to get juice and pulp.  Measure and set aside.  Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and set aside.  Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in medium size bowl.  Add flour mixture alternately with pulp and juice.  Add vanilla and chopped nuts, stir to combine.  Pour into well-greased 9-inch baking pan; bake 35 to 40 minutes.  After cake cools sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

We had this for our dessert tonight.  I want another piece, but I'm not going to give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment